Three in ten nursing home residents with dementia have wandered off. Elopement is a greater problem than most people would expect.
Elopement (Wandering Off)
Residents wandering away from their nursing homes (also called “elopement”) is a greater problem than most people would expect. According to data reported by the American Geriatrics Society (AGS), three in ten residents with dementia have wandered off.
For obvious reasons, when a nursing home resident leaves his or her facility unattended, serious – even deadly – consequences may follow.
Federal and state laws and regulations are in place to reduce the risk of elopement. As with other legal requirements, however, they are all too often violated.
Nursing homes must comply with the following standards, or they may be held liable for the consequences:
- Train employees on methods of preventing elopement, and handling such incidents when they do occur;
- Employ qualified staff who can promptly and properly attend to cases of elopement;
- Install and maintain alarm systems that are adequate to prevent elopement of residents.
Nursing homes that fail to comply with their legal obligations to prevent wandering off may be held liable for any injuries and damages that result.
Our Lawyers Can Help You
Our injury lawyers and staff want to help you, in the unfortunate event that you need our help. Just e-mail or call us for a free, no obligation, confidential consultation.
For free answers to your questions about injuries or a death occurring in a nursing home or other care facility, just complete our convenient online contact form.
We provide professional attorney services for these types of abuse and neglect, among others:
- Pressure Ulcers
- Fall Injuries
- Hip and Other Bone Fractures
- Dehydration and Water Deprivation
- Medication Errors and Chemical Restraints
- Sepsis/Septic Shock
- Aspiration Pneumonia
- Failure to Develop or Follow Care Plans
- Feeding Tube Injuries
- Physical Abuse by Staff or Others
- Sexual Assault by Staff or Others
- Suspicious or Unexplained Injuries or Death
- Wandering Off (Elopement)